We love a workout that works your entire body. These kinds of workouts are especially useful on holiday or vacation, or on a busy day at home or on the go.
This is pretty much a full body workout. As much as your arms and abs are working your legs will still have a part to play in these full body movements.
Tabata workouts have had huge popularity overseas, one of the most popular forms of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Dr Izumi Tabata and some researchers were working on studies involving workout intensities and their value, high-intensity intervals being the winner in this study, as I am sure you all realised by now. They are so simple and easy to squeeze into your day. These workouts involve a set number of seconds work (normally 20) to a set number of seconds rest (normally 10). This sequence is then repeated for a total of 8 rounds, thus 4 minutes of workout.
What makes Tabata even more amazing is that you can adjust the seconds and rounds to suit your needs! For this workout, I thought we could change this up to 45 seconds of work with 15 seconds of rest. Repeat this sequence for 4 total rounds.
Your 10-minute workout:
- Walking plank with pushup– walk forward with your hands into a plank and then perform a pushup once you are in parallel. Walk back to starting position.
- Down dog pose into side mountain climber – in a typical yoga down dog position, lower yourself into a plank while bringing one leg into your elbow in a mountain climber side crunch movement.
- Crab kicks – on all fours, facing upwards (the crab position), lift one leg up and touch it with your opposite hand.
- Jackknife – in this ab movement, your legs and arms come up to touch from floor position.
- Shoulder taps – in plank position, tap opposite shoulders with your hands.
Workout by Isilda da Costa. Isilda is a personal trainer, health coach, certified nutritionist and women’s fitness specialist.