If you want to lose weight and get fitter, the best thing you can do is to join some kind of group activity.
A recent study shows that 95% of people who started a weight-loss programme in an organised class stayed the course. That number drops to 76% for those working out alone.
Ceri Hannan, Virgin Active S.A’s National Product Development Manager, says there are several clear reasons why group training works best:
- Discipline: A scheduled class is diarised and automatically leads to greater commitment. A big incentive is to not fall behind because of missing out on the new moves learned in the next class!
- Fun: Group classes seem to have an infectious vibrant atmosphere, while solo workouts can be solemn affairs. Training collectively provides a shared purpose, people to laugh with, and reassurance.
- Concentration: While on your own intensity can waver, but a good instructor will keep you focused throughout. You’ll never get distracted by wondering which exercise to do next.
- Structure: Group classes are designed to really optimise your time and to deliver all-round benefits. You know the exercises are carefully structured and monitored by a professional and are safe.
- Health: A good class will include vital elements to avoid injury like properly warming up and cooling down. When training alone we often skip those steps.
- Variety: Whether it’s suspension yoga, The Grid, Ride, Shape, or Pilates, there’s always a new class to try and you don’t have to be experienced or learn anything in advance to participate – simply show up with a positive attitude and enjoy the collective fitness experience!
To have a look at Virgin Active’s group training classes, visit: www.virginative.co.za